- March 2015 – Selected as Knight Cities Challenge Winner
Urban Arboreta Team co-leaders attend Knight Cities Challenge kick-off in Detroit and learn from other winning teams.
- April-May 2015 – Develop Criteria for Site Selection
UA team reviews project goals and identifies site criteria and suitability characteristics.
- June-August 2015 – Build Partnerships + Create Business Plan
Meet with future local partners and receive project input. Temple’s Fox School of Business MBA Capstone Team develops a business strategy and fiscal model.
- September-December 2015 – Identify and Visit Potential Sites
Site visits to review top-ranked parcels, evaluating for project suitability and community presence.
- November 2015 – January 2016 – Site Selection and Community Building
Continue assessing potential sites, coordinating lease agreements with respective agencies. Meet with stakeholders and local community members.
- January 2016 – Launch Student Design Competition
Design and launch student competition, preparing brief and supporting materials that document physical site conditions and surrounding community of UA site.
- February-May 2016 – Identify Grower & Build Online Presence
Interview and screen top candidates. Continue to develop UA website, blog, and social media presence.
- May 2016 – Design Competition Winner Announced
Invite jurors to review design competition entries and select winner.
- July-October 2016 – Site Design Review, Community Input & Installation
Community meetings with winning design team, making changes to overall site plans as needed. Preparation of final drawings to prepare for installation.
- Fall 2016 – Production Operations
Acquire initial plant stock and begin production operations, setting up training program to support production.
- Late Fall 2016 onward – Continue Research & Development
Develop a R&D component to the UA site, exploring additional funding opportunities. Grow sales via retail operations and city partnerships